Monday, April 4, 2011

Welcome!
Bem-vindos!


Hi, I'm Dea.
Let's be quick and to-the-point.

I created this blog to:

1) Encourage anyone too cook/bake delicious things - especially those of you who, like I used to, think you simply can't.

2) Document my own development and adventures in the kitchen

3) Serve as a repository of answers/explanations and useful links to address some basic questions that I usually have while working through some recipes - and I'm sure many other people do to.



As for me, I always loved to eat all kinds of things but have practically never even fried an egg until age 23. The most elaborate thing I would make was packaged ramen, at best.

When I left my family's home and got married, obviously I needed to start doing my own cooking, to my chagrin. Most of what I used to make were simple day-to-day meals, and if given the opportunity I'd rather pay to get something really good than to make my own. And so it went for 4 years.

Cue to February 2011, Valentine's Day. I decided to make a very special dinner for my very special Valentine. I challenged myself to make something "fancy". I will not bother you with the details, but the luscious 3-course meal was victoriously finished with a decadent white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, which was a big hit! It was also the first time I ever used a springform pan.

From then on, I realized that it does not take an "advanced" cook to make "advanced" recipes. Actually, the only way you can become "advanced" is if you are a beginner willing to make those things other people have you believe you need to be totally experienced before you can make it. Guess what? You only get experienced by experiencing it. 

And that's exactly what I have been doing, and the outcomes have surprised everyone around me and myself. It's a fun adventure that keeps you going every time you take a bite of the tasty things you make with your own hands (and hear the ooohs and aaahs from those who come across it!) 

Last things, just so you know: I live in a tiny apartment with a combined kitchen/living room area, with no range hood, practically no counter space, and have almost none of those fancy and highly-specialized tools/appliances that people use. So don't be intimidated if you are under the same conditions. I will be specifically chronicling how I work around this to give people more encouragement. 

Ok, this ended up being not so quick, but I at least hope it was to the point.
Happy reading - and eating!
Dea

0 comments:

Post a Comment

No question is too basic or dumb, but please review the previous comments to make sure it was not answered before. Thanks!